Imagination is more important that knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. ~Albert Einstein
And who are we to argue with Albert Einstein? So why is imagination important in education? Because it’s the precursor to many important skills:
- A good imagination leads to higher creativity in areas like music, art and drama,
- It delivers better writing skills and allows children to link areas of learning through their imagination – for example, geography comes to life if we can visualise the landscape being described and history is easier to remember once we’ve applied imaginative processes to put ourselves into the heart of the action
- Imagination helps us find different ways to solve problems, reducing frustration and boosting self-esteem. It’s never too early to feel good about ourselves!
How do you promote imagination in the classroom?
There are so many ways! In young children imaginative play can be fostered by using graphic wall art and decals to inspire inventiveness: wall art can be a backdrop to short plays or create a welcoming reading corner where the imagination can be developed along with key curriculum skills. We love designing graphics that help small children discover exciting new ways to think, play and learn!
Art, technology and design are all linked areas that have imagination at their very core. From computer graphics through to woodworking, from fashion design to 3D modelling, the ability to visualise a finished project and then work backwards to define the steps that will lead to the desired outcome is all dependent on imagination. This kind of thinking can be fostered by using wall art in a variety of ways, such as:
- Motivational quotations from famous artists, scientists and designers to spark idea creation
- Depictions of key imaginative moments such as da Vinci’s Vitruvian Man or the invention of the World Wide Web to inspire problem-solving
- Using more abstract and open-ended design to encourage imaginative thinking – our team are proficient in helping you come up with inspiring wall art that creates the right mood for creative endeavour.
The man who has no imagination has no wings. ~Mohammad Ali
Once you have your wall or floor art in place, lessons and activities can be planned around your school’s decor to encourage creativity and imagination in the classroom. Children can riff off imaginative elements on the walls, floor, ceilings or even windows, to improve their creative thinking and problem-solving. Even bigger projects are possible, such as using bespoke graphics as a background for school plays, concerts or open evenings, and our inspiring wall art designs allow pupils to display their own creative work right in amongst the wall art, giving a professional presentation that makes their work look its best. This kind of approach brings many benefits – not only inspiring imagination but creating a fantastic range of opportunities to trigger imaginative activity and finally, offering a fantastic showcase for the imaginative works that the students produce.
How Inspired Visual can help…
So if you’re ready to give your school an imaginative boost, contact us today to see how we can help your students discover their inner creativity. Our team of expert office graphic designers and installers can help you update your schools. We work with you every step of the way to ensure you are aware of all the options available to you and end up with a solution that is perfect for your needs. We have vast experience and understand the importance of motivating educational graphics, please view our case studies for examples of our past work. Simply contact us or use the below form and one of the team will be in touch with you.